Microsoft introduced sleeping tabs in Microsoft Edge Chromium. Sleeping tabs in Microsoft Edge are designed to improve the memory and CPU usage of the browser. To save system resources for better speed and responsiveness, Microsoft Edge will put tabs to sleep when you haven’t used them for a while, and then wake them as soon as they are clicked.
The latest version of Microsoft Edge should have the sleeping tabs feature enabled by default. We can use Intune to further customize the settings.
Let’s understand how to configure Microsoft Edge sleeping tabs using Microsoft Intune.
Sign-in into Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center (https://endpoint.microsoft.com) and select Devices > Windows > Configuration Profiles
Click on Create profile and select following options:
- Platform : Windows 10 and alter
- Profile type: Setting catalog
Click on Create
On the Basics page, enter a profile name and description and click on Next.
On the Configuration settings page perform the below steps:
- You are on Configuration settings page
- Click on Add settings
- Type “sleeping tab” in Setting picker and click on Search
- Select Microsoft Edge\Sleeping tabs category. All available settings for this category will now visible. Please note that user will not be able to change the setting applied through this catalog settings. If you want to allow user to change settings then you need to select “Microsoft Edge – Default Settings (User can override)\Sleeping Tabs settings”.
- Select below settings:
- Configure sleeping tabs
- Set the background tab inactivity for sleeping tabs
- Configure below settings under Sleeping tabs settings at left side of screen.
- Enable Configure Sleeping Tabs
- Enable Set the background tab inactivity timeout for Sleeping Tab
- Update sleeping tab inactivity timeout under Set the background tab inactivity timeout for Sleeping Tab (Device) – By default, this option will be 5 minutes of inactivity.
- Click on Next
On the Assignments page, assign the profile to AAD Group or all Windows 10 and later devices. Click on Next
On the Review + create page, review the details and click on Create.
The Device configuration profile will be created. You can see the status in notification area.
You can monitor the Assignment status of Device configuration profile from Devices > Configuration profiles blade. To check the status go to Device > Configuration profiles and click on Profile name.
Verify the settings from Microsoft Edge. To verify the settings, open Microsoft Edge and go to settings and select System and performance from left pane.
You can notice that settings applied through Microsoft Intune are locked. A user won’t be able to make changes.
- Manage Edge Chromium favorites with Endpoint Manager | Intune
- Configure Edge Chromium Homepage & Startup Page
- Configure Microsoft Edge Sleeping Tabs using Intune
- Configure Google Chrome settings using Administrative templates | Intune | Endpoint Manager
- Block USB Device with Exception
- Deny Write Access to USB Devices Using Intune Catalog Settings
- Manage Windows 10 /11 Desktop Wallpaper with Microsoft Intune
- Manage Local Admin Password with Intune & Windows LAPS
- How to Create Custom RBAC Role in Intune for LAPS Password Administrator
Subscribe to Techuisitive Newsletter
Be the first to know about our new blog posts. Get our newsletters directly in your inbox and stay up to date about Modern Desktop Management technologies & news.